Friday, October 1, 2010

Jayme Mester is Kay Swift




I didn't mean to be away so long...but most of you know I have been in Thesis land the last couple of months. Last night, I had my big defense. I had to stage my entire show: acting, singing, dancing, costumes in front of the Thesis Committee and advisors to prove that I am ready to perform it in a month on October 29 and 30. The last time I did this, a year and a half ago, it failed and I was told to re-write my script and the production was arbitrarily pushed back to Fall of 2010. It was devastating in so many ways, there were months I thought the project was completely insurmountable, with no one serving as support or liason who could say, have you tried this or that? Months I thought for sure we were going to pack our bags and leave Boston and no one would have blamed me....except myself.
But last November, when Scott and I were blessed to spend an entire month on Chebeague Island, off the coast of Portland, Maine, it was there that I faced my demons and wrote an entirely new script, out in God's country or the last place on earth, with only 300 residents on the five mile long island. And Scott worked on a cabin, fortifying its 200 year old foundation. We had Thanksgiving for two, welcomed the first winterwonderland, and ushered in the Christmas season by painting wooden nutcrackers while listening to timeless Christmas music on the radio non-stop...and even that script was just a skeleton of what it has become.
The first thing the head of the program said when I finished, with a dreamy look on her face (which is never described as such) was, "This is a good script, in so many ways." After about 45 minutes of feedback and minor adjustments, I got all green lights to perform at the end of October!!! This is the first time in my life that I feel like an artist. Before I just sang other people's songs. But, now I have written a play! Now I understand the fear of the critics, the opinion of family members, the desire to resound with others. It feels exactly like serving your very heart up on a platter, and subjecting it to people's tastes, understandings, perspectives, education and bias, with no protection or recourse. Because not only did I pour myself into this piece, I love it like a parent loves a child. So if others don't love it as I do, all is lost! (not really, I'll still have my MFA!) Please come, one and all. It is for you that we write (yes, I am one of them now!) And let me tell you, this is only the beginning...

8 comments:

Marah Jean said...

I'M COMING, BABY!!!!!!

And I'm listening to "A Wink and a Smile" right now, in honor of YOU!!!

Carrie said...

Congrats!!! What a HUGE accomplishment!!! That is so awesome! Glad the long road has been so worth it!!!

Anonymous said...

YES!YES!YES! I AM COMING! YES!YES!YES! WILD HORSES COULDN'T KEEP ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (AND A LOT MORE 0'S) PROUD OF YOU JAYME SUZANNE MESTER REICHANADTER!!
C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR HEART!!! i LOVE YOU, SWEET GIRL!! Mom Reich

Adrienne said...

So happy for you! Your story has taken quite a few twists and turns that none of us could have planned out, but I think there's something beautiful waiting just around the corner! :)

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!!! I am so excited for you Jayme and so proud of you for staying the course and never giving up!!! You look absolutely beautiful as Kay Swift! :) I can hardly wait to wrap my arms around you with a big hug in a week and a half! :) Lots of love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love, everything you have been doing for your Thesis Project!! Keep up the good work!! Grama is proud of you, and CANNOT wait to come watch you in person!!! God bless and I will be praying for you and will see you soon!
Love, Grama

Caren said...

Awesome, Jayme! I can't be there but I will be there in spirit. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Unknown said...

I think that this is so amazing :) I can't wait to hear how it goes!! Big hugs!!!!!!