Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cirque Du Soleil

Last thursday, the 22nd, was the ninth anniversary of our first date. In 2001, we went to St. Joseph, Michigan, down to the water. We walked by the lighthouse and went swimming in our clothes. Then Scott bought me dinner at The Bistro. And then he was supposed to move to Alaska four days later. He told his brother if I kissed him that weekend, he would stay, and well, the rest is history! (But the truth is that we kissed each other)

To celebrate, we got tickets to see opening night of Cirque Du Soleil downtown on the waterfront.

I have always been drawn to the circus and fascinated by acrobatics. And let me tell you, you have NOT seen acrobatics until you've seen these performers! We were constantly picking our jaws up off the ground. We couldn't take pictures inside the big top, so I had to get these images online. The entire theme was based on the insect kingdom.


This performer was a spider and she was breathtaking. Here is a description from a Theatre Mania email I got, "OVO is a headlong rush into a colorful ecosystem, teeming with life, where insects work, eat, crawl, flutter, play, fight and look for love in a non-stop, riot of energy and movement. The insect's home is a world of biodiversity and beauty filled with noisy action and quiet emotion."



This last picture ended up being from our favorite act of the night, and in fact, it was the closer. These performers were doing all sorts of twists and contortions on this wall. Then they would let go, drop twenty feet, landing on their backs on a great trampoline and bouncing all the way back up to step off at the top like they were getting off an elevator! We couldn't believe our eyes and we were hooping and hollaring like wide-eyed children. If you ever get the chance to see this show, don't even hesitate. I told Scott I'd like to become a groupie and see them over and over again, since they change their acts often.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Totally outrageous!! Is that the same circus that you saw last year on your birthday, or a different one? Unbelievable! And can it be that it was indeed 9 years ago that you had that first date in St. Joseph? I remember it so well, AND I remember Scott's decision NOT to go to ALaska! Thank you Lord!!!!!
Love you sweet daughter...see you real soon :)
Love, Mom

Brittani Renee said...

I love love love Cirque Du Soleil! I've seen them a few times and each is so different from the last.

Christine said...

I've always wanted to see Cirque Du Soleil! I'm so glad you took the opportunity! Love you both and can't wait to see you soon! xoxo