Sunday, March 28, 2010

Palm Sunday

Can it be Palm Sunday already?? This season of Lent went by too quickly. I feel like I'm just getting on board with my thoughts and meditations, and it is Easter week. There is a great website, IBCLent, that I tuned into every day last year during Lent. I believe this year has the same entries and I have not followed it as closely, but it is so powerful. I would strongly advise you tuning in every morning of this Holy Week. They are only a couple minutes long.


Today's scripture was John 3:14-21. I love verse 18. "There is no judgement against anyone who believes in Him." I wonder how many of us truly believe that? I know I have struggled with it too many years to count. Often, with every banal action I do comes, "did I do that right?" "I should have had a better attitude," "I didn't have enough quiet time this week--He must be so disappointed in me." "I didn't stop to thank God for this beautiful day." "Why would He answer that prayer? I haven't done (fill in the blank) for Him lately." But I think one of the singular most compelling things about Christ and God the Father is their unfathomable love for us. Those of you who are parents are so lucky to have a personal portrait of it in your own life! I just finished reading a book called The Shack, by William Young. It is heart-rending in more ways than one, as well as very controversial, I'm told. But it is definitely written for people like me who wrestle with the idea of an extremely personal God and whether or not the Maker of the universe actually loves ME all that much. In a chapter called Verbs and Other Freedoms, towards the end of the book, Mack askes God if He has ever been disappointed with him, speaking about the responsibilities he feels he has as a child of God. God replies,

"I've never placed an expectation on you or anyone else. The idea behind expectations requires that someone does not know the future or outcome and is trying to control behavior to get the desired result. Humans try to control behavior largely through expectations. I know you and everything about you. Why would I have an expectation other than what I already know? That would be foolish. And beyond that, because I have no expectations, you never disappoint me.

I don't wonder what you will do or what choices you will make. I already know. Let's say, for example, I am trying to teach you how not to hide inside lies...and let's say that I know it will take you 47 situations and events before you will actually hear me--that is, before you will hear clearly enough to agree with me and change. So when you don't hear me the first time, I'm not frustrated or disappointed, I'm thrilled. Only 46 more times to go! And that first time will be a building block to construct a bridge of healing that one day you will walk across."

The love relationship portrayed in this book is literally out of this world. It is so overwhelming to me that I don't have to perform. He covers me with His love, so that when He looks on me, He does not see all of my flaws and human drama, He only sees His love! I hope you can rest in the beauty of that truth this Holy Week.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I loved reading The Shack. I found it to be a refreshing reminder of God's endless and matchless love. He cannot be contained by the limitations our mind and heart place on Him. Thank goodness!
Thanks for these reminders today. Much love to you! xo