Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oh Johnny!

Grandpa suffered a moderate stroke on Friday and was significantly affected in his memory, recognition, personality and physical strength, calling a banana a screwdriver and calling his wife, Mrs. Mester. Mom took him to the doctor yesterday, who confirmed this suspicion. The doctor said mom is doing everthing right, stimulating him with music, reading, massages, walking and balanced meals. She requested a B12 shot before they left and he has miraculously bounced back to his old, relatively spry self. In fact, he sang to me on the phone tonight. What a pretty voice, I never knew! It made me beam...He didn't remember all the words, but here they are...



Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny! How you can love!

Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny! Heavens above!

You make my sad heart jump with joy,

And when you're near I just can't sit still a minute.

I'm so, Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny! Please tell me dear.

What makes me love you so?

You're not handsome, it's true,

But when I look at you, I just, Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny! Oh!

1 comment:

ubermom said...

This Johnny is such a sweetheart!
Thanks for finding the words to the song, Jayme. I will give them to him. Today was a visibly hard day for him. It was as though the B12 was fading from his body. I called the doctor and asked how often he can get the shots. The nurse said some patients get them 3times a week...but they are $27 a shot and Medicare does not cover them. So we will go once a week for a shot and the other days he will take Shaklee B complex. I gave him a pill late today and in about 2 hours he was a bit better. I'm also giving him vinegar in a glass of water first thing in the morning to help disolve blood clots that may be lurking in his blood vessels.
We got news this evening that Grandpa's sister, Mary, had a heart attack last week and now has pneumonia. She is not expected to live. Uncle Nick, his younger brother, also had a stroke last week and was put in a nursing home. I find it more than a little thought provoking that these 3 siblings each suffered a life-threatening crisis last week. Please keep them in your prayers. We are going to see Aunt Mary tomorrow if Grandpa is up to it. I know he would want to see her one more time.
Thanks again, Jayme, for keeping your Grandparents in your blog!
I love you! (15 days!)