Saturday, March 1, 2008

a year ago this weekend..

..I flew out to audition at The Boston Conservatory. My dance audition was at 3:00 Friday afternoon, March 1st, and my singing audition was at 5:15pm. I remember waiting on the third floor of 8 The Fenway and having about 20 minutes to calm my nerves, since I didn't know when I was going in. Neil, the head of the department, was the only one in the room, as I performed a classic monologue, a modern monologue, How Could I Know? from Secret Garden and The Wizard and I from Wicked. I had a brief interview with Neil and he invited me to a thesis project of a second year grad student that very evening on the life of Fanny Bryce.

The day was blustery and rainy and I suffered from severe nerves all day and spent a good portion of the time on the phone with my mom, who prayed for me and talked me down off my cliff. After my audition, I walked up Bolyston, turned left on Massachusetts Avenue and called my mom again with extreme enthusiasm about how well my audition just went. The next morning, I walked Freedom Trail and Fanueil Hall before my flight home to Chicago....We got news of my acceptance on March 19 and I remember jumping up and down and hugging Scott and crying in our apartment in Hyde Park. What a year. I remember these details so vividly and now here I am, almost done with my first year.

8 comments:

jeny said...

Hello green! What a nice surpries as I opened your page this morning ;)
I got all teary reading this, because I too remember so vividly that weekend and praying and hoping for you. And then spending the next few days with you in Chicago and listening as you shared your whirlwind trips. I'm so proud of you!!!
Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks (14 days!!!)

jeny said...

Yes, that's the new way to spell surprise. Not many people know about it yet ;) --It's French

Lori said...

WHOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! for you, Miss Jayme! We are all so proud of you! Thank you for sharing that. I had forgotten that it was a full year ago. How much more do you have to go? Maybe 10 weeks or so? Not long. You're in our prayers as you head into the home stretch for this year!
Love you, Mom Rack

Adrienne said...

Can't believe how much can happen in one year! Jeff and I were just talking about how one year ago we were putting our house up for sale and beginning the process of moving here! God has been so good to all of us in our moves and changes, hasn't He?

Brittani Renee said...

What an exciting day for you- I'm thankful your Mom could be on the phone with you during that time!

sidenote: I like the photo on your page :)

Hey- you are singing at St Marks? Tell me details and I'll be there!
Love you

ANGEL said...

Krikies I guess my comments would actually take if I'm signed in! I know I commented on your new look :]

Isn't it amazing how fast time goes!

Let me know when your singing at St Marks I'd love to see/hear you

hugs and kisses!

Christine said...

Hey, Sweetie! Time passes so quickly and yet so much can happen in one year. We are so proud of you and love knowing that you're thriving in your element.
Our time on Skype the other night was so much fun! I'm happy that you guys have connected with Zach. I seriously was fighting jealousy when I saw him sitting in your home and sipping a mocha you made for him. I really am hoping we can make a trip to Boston before you're done there.
Anyway, we can't wait to see you here at home. It won't be long now! Love you! xoxo
(Don't forget we'll be Skyping you on Sunday afternoon for Chloe's party!)

ubermom said...

I remember that Friday last March like it was yesterday, Jayme. I recall exactly what I was doing while listening to you rehearse on the phone. (mopping the floor in our Sunday School room at church, then running errands with Grandma.)
You were just wonderful that fateful day and your courage was inspiring to me.
I ran that Friday through my head a year later wistfully
acknowledging that time is relentless (and often for us older folks,intolerabe) in its swiftness and we must make the best of each moment we're given. I know you are making the best of your "moment" there at the Conservatory. I am very pleased with, and equally proud of your tenacity and talent, my dear daughter. Keep plugging away, continue vanquishing your giants, revel in your successes!
I can't wait to see you.
I love you--